Friday, September 5, 2008

Vacation and appreciation

Sorry it's been so long since I've put up a post. Winning 8 Gold medals at the Olympics and accepting my party's nomination for President has really limited my computer time. I'm sure you've all been salivating with mouse in hand. You can relax, I'm back.

The truth of the matter, is that my lovely wife Amy and I were in Maine on vacation. We ate lobster (almost every day... seriously), fished (unsuccessfully, per usual), and played some wicked croquet (now THAT I'm good at). But the really neat thing about going to the place I grew up is that it's not LA. Don't get me wrong, I love LA. But getting outside of LaLa Land once in a while is crucial, and not for the reasons you think.

It's not about getting away from traffic, or the smog, or all the Scientologists. OK, that last part is great. But what really struck me when I was back East is how lucky all of us who pursue our dreams in this business really are. I know that's something you expect to hear from a 17 year old with stars in his or her eyes, but hear me out.

We were in Maine for a number of weeks, so one of the first things I did was to hang a trapeze so I could keep my skills and strength up. Nothing fancy, a couple of ropes and a bar hanging about 9 feet off the ground. I didn't think much of it, but it wasn't long before I found myself explaining to folks why I was hanging upside down over my Dad's geraniums. I told them about my film project and the training I've been doing and that's when it hit me: I am ridiculously lucky. I wake up every day and pursue the very thing that I've pictured myself doing since I was a kid. During a time when people are walking to work, if they still have a job, I get to push my script and play on a circus rig. Crazy.

So, sometime this fall or winter, when I get annoyed by the back up on the 405 I'm going to picture that lone trapeze rig hanging from a snow covered tree. And for all of you industry types here in LA that need something to brighten your day... go ahead and picture me hanging on that trapeze in January freezing my nuts off.

Movie news soon, good things are happening but good things take a long time here...

No comments: