Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Art of Rejection

As an actor, I consider myself to be a master at handling rejection. I get rejected all the time. But it doesn't ever get any easier to hear that short, loaded word, NO. It always stings, always. Any of you harbouring dreams of carving out a life in the entertainment biz, know that NO is going to be a familiar sound. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I just got my first NO regarding my script. Here the deal in a nutshell. I got the script to another actor for a role that they were perfect for. The actor liked the script and liked me but, alas, NO was still the answer as the actor had too many other commitments. Understandable of course, but a bummer still. In fact, this was my first NO for the script. If the burn of getting told NO as an actor is like putting your hand on a electric burner, the burn of getting told NO as a writer is like sitting right on that burner and turning on the one next to it. Now don't get wrong, I didn't expect every Dick and Jane in Hollywood to love my project, but I really wanted this Jane to dig it. So, I was a little disappointed yesterday. But, then something fun happened. I did one of my kids shows yesterday at a school somewhere in East LA. The show I perform is about John "The Pathfinder" Freemont, California's original bad-ass. I perform for kids in grades K-5 and they think it's just about the coolest thing ever. As I recounted Freemont's grit and determination as he crossed the country several times on foot, I began to buy into my own performance. By the time the show culminated in me telling the kids to "Work hard and follow their dreams," I had convinced myself right along with those 5o cheering kids. The NO from earlier in the day faded away as I realized how good I have it. I've never had to eat some of my friends to stay alive like Freemont did so who am I to complain? Before long, that NO was long gone and I rejected my rejection. So, what's the point of all this? People always say NO. Sometimes they have good reasons, but sometimes they just can't be bothered. In this town, you get used to it, accept it, and learn to move on to the next person who just might say yes. And even if the next person says no, and the next, and the next, you have to keep saying YES. Say YES and believe it. It's contagious, especially when your audience is full of 7 year olds.

1 comment:

Coolhand said...

Hey bro,

Glad to hear about your blog and I will be following it as you post. I've subscribed to your feed so I'll get new posts whenever they're up.

Great points you made in this post. It's hard to realize that they aren't telling YOU "no" but just saying "no" to the project/opportunity. I think it's awesome that you were able to benefit from your message to the kids and I also think it's awesome that you didn't have to eat your friends.

Luke